Each of us will have our own sense of what contributes to wellbeing.
What makes our lives good?
What makes us happy and fulfilled in our work?
What control can we have over our personal and team wellbeing?
Building blocks of wellbeing
- Being present: taking notice, mindfulness practice
- Close connections: personal relationships, workplace connections
- Community connectedness: sense of belonging, community participation
- Broadening one’s world view: continuing to learn, trying new activities
- Approach to life: having a strengths-based approach in life
- Self-care activities: health and diet, adequate sleep, healthy movement
Five ways to thrive in life
- Positive emotions: experiencing positive emotions such as joy, calmness and satisfaction
- Engagement: being interested and involved in life
- Relationships: feeling loved, valued and connected with others
- Meaning: having a sense of direction, feeling that our lives are valuable and worthwhile, and connecting to something bigger than ourselves
- Accomplishment: the belief and ability to do things that matter most to us, achieving goals and having a sense of mastery
Surviving versus thriving at work
- Self-interest first
- Wondering what the point is
- Absenteeism and presenteeism
- Cynicism and lack of trust in leaders
- Active job search and exit behaviours
- Moment to moment operation
- Increased engagement
- Improved sense of meaning
- Increased motivation
- Improved views on leadership
- Increased satisfaction
- Increased productivity
(CSIRO Wellbeing at Work Strategy 2014-2018)